As urban centers grow, cities need to evolve their urban planning to be inclusive of all modes of transportation, including pedestrians, bikes, buses, cars, and more. With Miovision, you can access insights you need to improve mobility, increase safety, and reduce congestion on city roadways.
In-ground loops can only do so much. They sense motion, but can’t distinguish between bikes, cars, buses, pedestrians, and other modes of transportation. That makes it difficult to plan efficient traffic flow at different times of the day, to accommodate all citizens.
Some streets are busy with heavy vehicle traffic, some are congested at specific times of the day, and others might be used by pedestrians or bikes most of the time. Without the right technology, you can’t assess which modes of transportation are being used most often to customize signal times.
Inadequate Data Insights
You make the best decisions with the data you have. Unfortunately, some technology doesn’t collect continuous data, which means that important insights can be missed. With granular information, you can identify trends that will have an impact on planning, timing, and safety considerations.
Lack of Auditability
With so many different modes of transportation on the road, collisions are bound to happen. And when they do, it’s difficult to get the full picture by relying solely on witnesses. It’s even more difficult to understand the circumstances around the intersection that could have contributed to the problem without auditable data.
Elements of a Safer Street System
Miovision uses machine learning to teach our technology to identify different modes of transportation and react accordingly. The longer you use it, the smarter it gets. Make the right decisions based on the most accurate, reliable, and auditable data.
- Access data collected from the intersection securely in the cloud
- Receive automatic alerts when issues arise, and assign them to the right people
- Address alerts such as “Signal in Flash” and “Power Loss” quickly return the signal to a safe and efficient state as soon as possible.
- “See” every vehicle, pedestrian and cyclist to ensure demand is being serviced and timing plans are being used effectively.
- Customize detection zone size and location for data that fully captures the unpredictable movements of cyclists and pedestrians
- Get accurate 24/7 multi-modal counts at the intersection
- Understand the intersection user profile and how users are moving through the intersection
- Re-examine timing plans and time of day plans based on updated turning movements counts
- Understand if intersection priorities are being met from a volume perspective
- Check in with the Intersection Health tool to get a better understanding of which intersections and which movements are operating the most inefficiently and causing congestion and increasing emissions.
- Understand if intersection priorities are being met from a performance perspective
- Gain insight into whether a policy change, traffic calming measure or complete streets incentive was effective or could be effective.
- Access red light running and pedestrian compliance metrics
- Identify trending risky behaviours among all road users and implement mitigation measures before collisions occur
- Measure the success of mitigation measures and iterate to achieve desirable outcomes
“We started with the goal of improving how we monitor our traffic signals, and now we’re working with Miovision to explore how to improve safety for pedestrians and help first responders get to emergencies more quickly.”
Mark de la Vergne, Chief of Mobility Innovation, Detroit